Monday, March 3, 2014

Textual Poaching

Media Mix
Artist's Statement

                I knew from the start that I was going to choose the song There's No Business Like Show Business for this project.  For as long as I can remember I knew that I wanted to act.  I remember watching Audrey Hepburn movies as a very little girl and being so drawn to the beauty of it.  Performance holds a strong spiritual draw for me, and that song moves me deeply.  I have a testimony of the righteous influence that can be had through performing, and I feel very reverently toward that iconic song.
                The role of a performer is one of the strongest aspects of my identity.  My role as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is an even stronger part of who I am.  That is why I chose to combine There's No Business Like Show Business with I am a Child of God.  There are so many musical mash ups out there, like this one by "DeclanMakesMusic" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNVbdRWnf40.  I have always found music incredibly inspiring.  My mother is a professional musician, and my father is something of a music guru.  I was raised with an immense appreciation for the power of music, and that is something that plays a huge role in my life.  For these reasons, a musical mash up was my first instinct for this assignment.
                The series of images entitled "RETROSPECT - An American Classic Revisited" represent the ways that an existing image came to hold different meanings for different people over time.  The idea has morphed as the country has grown.  My Textual Poaching project represents the way that the idea of "Showbiz" has become a deeply spiritual thing to me as I have grown.
                The two labels of actress and Mormon have been so interesting to wear together, especially outside of Utah.  In Dallas, I only ever met two other LDS actresses, only one of whom was fully active.  I was amazed I found any.

                I have encountered resentment in the theatre industry for my religious convictions, and some firm disapproval from members of the church for my career choice.  I have found that the only way that people ever come around to respect my choice is when I wear that identity up front and without shame or hesitation, and with the confidence that I am using my gifts in the way that Lord would have me do.

No comments:

Post a Comment